Jane on Campus

Sexual abuse among members of an educational community, like on a high school or college campus, carries unique consequences and obligations. It also poses individualized options for addressing the problem based on your long-term goals and needs.


High Schools

Sexual abuse within a high school community poses very specific challenges, mostly due to the nature of how people know each other and the close proximity sometimes required between a survivor and perpetrator. The abuse itself can generally be addressed the same way the legal system would address similar acts outside of a high school setting. Enforcing legal remedies and working through social consequences, however, can be more difficult.

Some options you have when addressing an allegation of sexual abuse between people at the same school are:

  1. Orders of Protection (commonly called “restraining orders”)
  2. Police Reporting
  3. Reporting to the Child Abuse Hotline
  4. Civil Litigation

You also have the option to hire an attorney to represent the survivor and address the issue formally with the school district. Depending on the nature of the abuse and your desired outcome, this avenue may offer some creative options for resolving the issue.

To schedule a coaching session with a lawyer to discuss sexual abuse or harassment within a high school setting, please CLICK HERE.


College Campuses

Sexual abuse between members of a college or university campus can be an extremely complicated issue to address. College student survivors frequently have multiple options for how they want to address the issue, but those options vary depending on the educational institution. These options may include:

  1. Orders of Protection (commonly called “restraining orders”)
  2. Police Reporting
  3. Reporting to an internal judiciary, such as a judicial board, student government, or other body that enforces the institution’s code of conduct
  4. Civil Litigation

Speaking with an attorney can help you sort through the particular details of your situation and make an action plan for how you want to move forward. In the past, Jane Doe has helped students who experienced sexual abuse on a college campus by coaching them through the reporting processes, reviewing documents, and helping with ongoing questions that came up during the process.

I was raped while I was drunk, and I’m underage. Will I get in trouble for drinking if I report the rape?
In most cases, especially on college and university campuses, the report of the rape will take precedence over the issue of underage drinking. This may not be true for all situations, though. Have a privileged conversation with a lawyer about your specific situation to learn your options and evaluate what you are dealing with.

I was sexually assaulted by a college classmate while at an off-campus apartment. Will the school care?
In many cases, the answer is yes. While it depends on the school and their specific rules, many schools base their rules on how members of the campus community treat each other, regardless of where an incident physically took place. To know for sure, you should talk to a lawyer who can help you analyze the code of conduct and your school’s policies for addressing sexual abuse.


Do you need help addressing sexual abuse within a campus community?

We at Jane Doe are happy to coach you through the process of dealing with sexual abuse within a high school or college campus. You can register for a coaching session with a lawyer at Jane Doe for help with any of the following:

  • Answering your questions about the incident itself and whether it constitutes sexual abuse under the law
  • Setting goals for how you want to reach a point of long-term safety and recovery
  • Analyzing your options for how to address the situation
  • Preparing written or oral statements
  • Preparing for meetings and interviews with school officials
  • Practicing police interviews, depositions, and mock trial testimony
  • Identifying long-term legal issues and how to address them now

To schedule a coaching session with a lawyer to address any of these issues, please CLICK HERE.

My child was abused on a high school or college campus. Can I come in for a coaching session as a parent?
Yes! As a concerned parent, you may absolutely come in to speak with a lawyer about what happened to your child and what you can do. Keep in mind, though, that if your child is a teenager or young adult, your options acting alone may be limited. In cases like this, we recommend you bring your child along with you to the coaching session, especially if they are a legal adult (age 18 or over).

I live in Missouri but was abused on campus while at a school out of state. Do I still qualify for help at Jane Doe?
Yes! Because you are a resident of Missouri, we can talk about your options depending on the specifics of the situation. There may be parts of the situation that we can start addressing locally and others that we can instruct you on how to handle when you get back to school.


Want to talk to someone first?
We are happy to offer you a no-charge phone intake to make sure we can help you reach your goals before registering for your coaching session. To do this, call our office at 314-329-5339 between 9am-7pm CT, Monday-Friday. If you would prefer to schedule a safe time to talk with a lawyer, please click the link below.

Website - Phone Call